the quilted tortoise

Saturday, 15 December 2012

More knitted goodness { socks and a beanie }


I've just finished my 2nd pair of socks.  I can't tell you how relieved the 1st pair are that there's someone else to share the load!


Hand knitted socks are one of those luxuries in life that everyone should enjoy.  If you use good quality yarn then they are the cosiest, comfiest, softest friends for your footsies.

These ones are Labyrinth Socks from Wendy Johnson's Socks From The Toe Up knitted in sublime Cakewalk Yarn.  The colour is called TBA and is wonderful shades of denim blues.  This yarn is the 2ply Walk yarn and is a little heavier than the 4 ply Footsie I used for my first pair.

I think I've managed to get the fit of these just right - I have pretty small feet and my last pair are a little long when I'm wearing them with shoes.  I also made this pair taller.  I was so impatient to finish my first pair that they really are a little short!

The Labyrinth pattern is a simple one, just a combination of knit, yarn over, ssk and k2tog.  I chose this pattern because is was in the sport weight section of the book and the Walk yarn is a little heavier.  Well, that's not entirely true…I also chose it because the pattern in the knitting is only on the front of the sock which means a quicker finish because I have 3 rounds of just knitting and one round of pattern!!



I use 2 circular needles and have recently converted to continental knitting so one sock was knit English and one was knit continental!


I've also finished this gorgeous quick November Leaves beanie.  I used Madelinetosh Vintage short skein yarn in my absolute most favourite colour Ink.  I know that it's allegedly Summer here but I get lured in to all the northern hemisphere knitting…


I'm now on my 2nd skein for my Boxy and have done about 7" of the 16" I have to knit for step 1…  This is where summer knitting comes in handy because there's still hope I may finish it for our Autumn!


Socks ravelled here, beanie here and boxy here.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, you've been busy! I got a chuckle out of your comment that your first socks are so happy that there's someone to share the burden. Isn't that the truth! Very pretty all around!

    ReplyDelete